The Super Save Group of Companies is one of B.C.’s largest corporate groups by annual revenue. Operating in 295 cities across Canada, the Group provides a diverse offering of services ranging from retail gasoline and residential propane operations to event and construction rentals to commercial waste disposal and recycling services.
As part of its ongoing growth initiative, the Super Save Group of Companies is looking to add a motivated, confident Litigation Representative to its evolving in-house legal team. Reporting directly to Legal Counsel and the VP Finance, you will be responsible for managing and resolving the Group’s high volume of in house Small Claims litigation prosecutions.
Who you are
You are wholly familiar with the Small Claims Court process in British Columbia. Perhaps you have worked as a paralegal, or have experience in the litigation department of a reputable law firm. You are confident in drafting pleadings, completing filings, attending settlement conferences, gathering evidence, preparing for and running small claims trials. You have a strong familiarity with BC Online, with e-filing and electronic data management, and with judgment enforcement strategies and rights. Ideally, you will also have familiarity with property management and fleet compliance matters.
What you’ll do
- Take ownership of the Group’s extensive small claims litigation portfolio.
- In B.C., draft, file and arrange for service of Notice of Claims, attend settlement conferences, prepare evidence, prepare witnesses, run trials (serving as necessary as witness yourself) and enforce judgments.
- Outside of B.C., instruct outside counsel, assist in evidence preparation, and arrange for witnesses to attend in other jurisdictions.
- Attend to electronic preparation of various land titles and other documents including: registering title, registering leases, registering liens, and discharge of same.
- Attend to monitoring and organization of the Group’s extensive lease and property ownership portfolio.
- Assist the General and Legal Counsel as required.
What you need
- Relevant, immediately transferable skills related to Small Claims litigation in British Columbia.
- An inherent tenacity and willingness to advance tough positions in tough negotiations and settlement conference situations.
- Familiarity with the filing protocols at the various registries in the B.C. Small Claims Court system.
- An understanding of the principals of law regarding debtor and creditor, civil disputes, and the small claims rules
- Unwavering organization of court dates, hearings, trials, and related deadlines
- Willingness to take on new business related roles and responsibilities as they become required
- Own vehicle, and willingness and ability to travel to hearings, court appearances and other attendances throughout the lower mainland (compensation provided)
- Great phone etiquette
- A strong ability to resolve disputes in the Group’s favour.
- Experience as a paralegal or in a litigation law firm will be considered an asset.
Please forward your resume and cover letter by email directly to:
Corporate Counsel, Super Save Group of Companies